Salvation Knoll trails and signs are dedicated
A dedication service on June 20 marked the opening of a hiking trail and interpretive signs at Salvation Knoll. The road-side site, located 28 miles west of Blanding on Highway 95, is dedicated to a key event of the Hole in the Rock Expedition of 1880.
Four scouts searching for a route from southwestern Utah to Montezuma Creek were able to gain their bearings by climbing the knoll on December 24, 1879.
They were able to see the Abajo Mountains and Mossback and figure out where they were. Four months later, the first permanent settlement in San Juan County was established in Bluff.
President Michael Redd, of the Blanding Stake of the Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-Day Saints, offered the dedicatory prayer.
Speakers at the event include LaMarr Helquist and Greg Taylor, of the Hole in the Rock Foundation, and Don Hoffheins, of the Bureau of Land Management. A host of key contributors were also honored, including Laird Naylor, Corrine Roring and Ralph Redd. Photographs by Kay Shumway are featured in the interpretive signs.
There are two large signs at the UDOT turnout, a third sign on the trail, and two more signs at the top of trail.
- Log in to post comments