Mud, glorious mud
Jan 17, 2017 | 11940 views | 0 0 comments | 1362 1362 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Members of the Deeter family recently met in La Sal to celebrate the 70th birthday of Steve Deeter.  All members of the family were there except two grandchildren serving in the mission field.  Courtesy photo
Members of the Deeter family recently met in La Sal to celebrate the 70th birthday of Steve Deeter. All members of the family were there except two grandchildren serving in the mission field. Courtesy photo
by Maxine Deeter

I’ve just returned from the frozen north (Ogden Valley) where they have three feet of snow on the level.  My daughter-in-law, who has lived there all her life, is complaining about all the white stuff and threatening to move to St. George for the winter. 

Her father-in-law begged for some of the snow to take home to Sierra La Sal.  No, what we have here is mud, glorious mud and lots of it.  I’ve not seen a mud season like this in a day or three. 

We’ve had many “winter storm watches or warnings” but very few flakes have materialized.  We’ve had some rain, which melted what snow we had and accounts for the wonderland of mud.  Sunday we were socked in all day with a freezing, foggy inversion.  Ugh and yuck.

Some of the local cattlemen were shipping cows from the corrals at ranch in downtown La Sal this weekend and were working in knee deep mud.  That can’t be easy!  They finally brought in heavy equipment and scooped much of the muck out of the way to make work easier.

I’ve been semi-chastised for saying there was no news from our village last week.  Okay, I try, often without success to make this column not just about me and mine.  But we did have a sort of big event recently. 

Many folks get together over the holidays, but our families usually just stay to themselves.  Guess that’s how we raised them. 

Shortly after we celebrated Christmas, including the reading of the real Christmas story from Luke chapter two, my family – ALL of them but two grandchildren serving church missions – came unto the land of their father’s to celebrate the 70th birthday of the family patriarch. 

This had been preceded by a royal edict from Mom/Grandma that EVERYONE would be there for the big event.  They all laughed at her but came none-the-less.  They all happily came for three days (the edict said they had to be there on the same three days). 

It was a grand celebration with fun and games and food.  Each family took a turn with a meal.  One day was spent cutting firewood – a fond childhood memory for many of the offspring.  This was delivered to townsfolk in need.  The main events were at the La Sal Community Center, where the food and games took place. 

As the Deeter family vacated the CC, the Redds moved in for the evening.  Barb and Charles Redd outdid us by having all of their children and grands home for the holidays. 

What a houseful!  Lots of little ones.  They based out of grandma and grandpas house with recreational fun at the CC. 

The Redds vacated the CC in time for the New Year’s Eve celebration, which was hosted by the John and Kristl Johnson family.  They had planned a Christmas Eve Eve cookies and cocoa party the week before that had been called off on account of strep throat – Yikes! 

The Family Johnson played around for about an hour and a half on New Year’s Eve, then went home as they found themselves playing alone.  Everyone else in town was either being sticks in the mud or already asleep. 

We are an aging community and many of us like our beds better than staying out late and playing. 

Even my children are getting old.  My daughter and her friends get together on New Year’s Eve and watch the ball drop in New York City at midnight, which is ten o’clock in the western US.  Then they call it good and go home to bed.  Sounded good to me.  I made it to midnight – New York time.

Speaking of the crazy Johnson family (Mom being a Blankenagel, making for double crazy, fun folks), they decided on a whim to go visit Grandpa and Grandma B who are serving a mission in Kirtland, OH. 

So, they loaded up the kids and headed out.  In the end, they traveled through 15 states in eight days.  Besides visiting the grandparents, they “ran” to Niagara Falls (a mere four hours out of the way), visited a brother in Arkansas, a sister in Iowa and headed home through Nebraska to miss an ugly storm in the Midwest. 

Wow, it tires one out just to write about it!  But they had a ball and it is probably not the last wild and crazy adventure these folks will undertake.

A big thanks to the elder Redds for their hospitality in allowing our family to use one of there abodes for sleeping. 

We usually use the Bed and Breakfast, but it had recently suffered a melt down – literally due to a broken water pipe.  Quite a spectacular mishap, which is currently being repaired.

We keep praying for the white, fluffy stuff to grace our land, as we slog through the magnificent mud.  Keep praying. 
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
The San Juan Record welcomes comments on our stories. Please be civil, respectful, focused and humane. Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of