Edith Irma Fischer Francom
Mar 24, 2010 | 2781 views | 0 0 comments | 38 38 recommendations | email to a friend | print
April 19, 1918 ~ March 19, 2010

Edith Irma Fischer Francom was born April 19, 1918 to Wilhelm Fischer and Irma Pohling in Zwickau, Germany. Shortly after she was born, her parents joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and decided to move to Utah.

When she was five years old, her father sold his factory, home, and furniture and moved to the United States. However, because of spiraling inflation in Germany, the money was worthless when they arrived. So instead of moving to Utah, they started over in New York.

She graduated from high school at the age of 16. She could have graduated at 15, but she stayed home from school for half a year to take care of her mother, who was ill with the shingles.

Edith met William Francom, who was studying music in New York, and they were married on May 18, 1936. Bill and Edith loved buying and selling homes and moved many times.

During their marriage, they lived in New York, Salt Lake City, Bountiful, and Monticello. Fourteen years after their marriage, they were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. For a short time, Edith worked as a real estate agent.

Edith held many positions in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Her favorite was as a counselor in the Relief Society presidency.

She loved cooking, gardening, sewing, canning, and making quilts. She especially loved attending the temple, especially in her later years.

She always said that her greatest accomplishment was her family.

She is survived by her seven children, Judith (Lawrence) Urry of Bountiful, William (Kay) Francom of Monticello, Rowland (Christine) Francom of Monticello, Diane (Clay) Christiansen of Bountiful, Mildred (Scott) Follett of Clearfield, Robert (Ann) Francom of Monticello, and Richard (Viviana) Francom of Bountiful. She has 62 grandchildren, 180 great grandchildren, and 29 great-great-grandchildren.

William passed away on October 15, 2000 and ever since that day she has been awaiting the time when she would be reunited with him. Her desire was fulfilled on March 19, 2010.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
The San Juan Record welcomes comments on our stories. Please be civil, respectful, focused and humane. Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of sjrnews.com